Our handy guide to the equipment you need to play geocaching
Note – if you have an iOS or Android smart phone, you can start right away with one of the Geocaching apps.
In order to participate in geocaching, you will need the following equipment:
- A GPS device or GPS-enabled smartphone: This is the most important piece of equipment you will need for geocaching. A GPS device will allow you to navigate to the coordinates of the hidden geocache, while a GPS-enabled smartphone can be used with a geocaching app to locate and log your visits.
- A geocaching app or website: There are many geocaching apps and websites available that can help you locate geocaches in your area and provide additional information about each cache. Some popular options include Geocaching by Groundspeak and c:geo.
- A logbook and pen: Most geocaches contain a logbook where you can sign your name and the date to record your visit. Be sure to bring a pen or pencil with you so you can log your visit.
- A bag or container: It is a good idea to bring a small bag or container with you to hold any items you find in the geocache, as well as any items you may want to leave behind for other geocachers to find.
- Comfortable walking shoes: Geocaching often involves hiking or walking to locate the hidden cache, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- Water and snacks: It is always a good idea to bring some water and snacks with you when participating in any outdoor activity, especially if you will be out for an extended period of time.
- A first aid kit: It is a good idea to bring a basic first aid kit with you, in case of any injuries or emergencies while you are out geocaching.
While these are the basic pieces of equipment you will need to participate in geocaching, you may want to bring additional items depending on the specific geocache and the conditions of the area. For example, you may want to bring a flashlight for geocaches located in wooded areas or a hat and sunscreen for geocaches located in sunny areas. Always be prepared and use common sense when participating in this or any outdoor activity.
Looking for a dedicated GPS device that can be used for Geocaching? Read our recommendations here.